NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/12/22 01:54 AM
Rigby London Best Mauser takedown .275

Quote:

A great example of a Rigby .275 London Best take-down edition left the workshop today in a leather case with canvas outer and accessories. To build your own London Best, go to www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-london-best/

Edit code: Temp location

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
25/12/22 03:25 AM
Re: Rigby London Best Mauser takedown .275

Images added.

chuck375
(.333 member)
04/04/23 09:45 AM

What a gorgeous rifle!

DarylS
(.700 member)
04/04/23 05:17 PM

NO one finishes a stock like that (MUCH) any more.
That is how exactly I finished a Browning stock for a friend of mine, many years ago. It was a Belgium Browning, that needed refinishing and he wanted an original-type finish. Lovely. The final polish in a rouge paste made it virtually identical. Lovely piece of claro. Looked very similar to this "English"? walnut.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
04/04/23 06:50 PM

Beautiful and useful rifle in a lovely takedown case as well.

I love the usefulness and compact portability of a takedown and case.

degoins
(.333 member)
04/04/23 10:19 PM

"Beautiful and useful rifle in a lovely takedown case as well.

I love the usefulness and compact portability of a takedown and case."

+1

bwanabobftw
(.375 member)
07/04/23 10:32 AM

That’s really nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A perfect little “travel gun” .

cr500
(.300 member)
19/04/23 07:29 PM

It certainly looks lovely, but I wonder how many London best guns actually get used in the field?

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/04/23 12:29 AM

Quote:

It certainly looks lovely, but I wonder how many London best guns actually get used in the field?

Probably more of them than all the endless nice vintage guns bought by collectors to be hoarded away.

eagle27
(.400 member)
20/04/23 08:33 AM

Yes a very nice rifle but as always my eyes are drawn to the large ugly scopes that owners seem to insist on having fitted. They want period type rifles and fixtures such as the open sights including a bolt mounted aperture but then adorn the rifle with a modern large tube, large objective illuminated scope. If I were Rigby I would refuse to accommodate such people. Yes build the rifle but refuse to mount such an abomination of a scope.

DarylS
(.700 member)
20/04/23 09:08 AM

Agree wholeheartedly, eagle27. A 1" tube with 32 objective and 38mm to 40mm ocular lens would be perfect, in 2 1/2 or 4X,
mounted low.

Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
20/04/23 09:17 AM

Quote:

Yes a very nice rifle but as always my eyes are drawn to the large ugly scopes that owners seem to insist on having fitted. They want period type rifles and fixtures such as the open sights including a bolt mounted aperture but then adorn the rifle with a modern large tube, large objective illuminated scope. If I were Rigby I would refuse to accommodate such people. Yes build the rifle but refuse to mount such an abomination of a scope.

Surely it is a 'quick detachable' mount, actually appears to be a 'Vienna Snapper'.

I agree that an early 20th Century 'scope would be more aesthetically appealing, but perhaps this purchaser intends to use it and prefers modern optics.

Regardless, with 'scope detached it retains 'classic' form.

justcurious
(.333 member)
20/04/23 06:27 PM

That is a H&H scope mount and not a Vienna Snapper.
The scope indeed is one of the ugliest looking you can find for that kind of rifle.

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
20/04/23 11:15 PM

Quote:

I agree that an early 20th Century 'scope would be more aesthetically appealing, but perhaps this purchaser intends to use it and prefers modern optics.

Regardless, with 'scope detached it retains 'classic' form.

I agree.

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
21/04/23 12:37 AM

When building classic style custom rifles, it is a constant struggle to convince the customer of a reasonable scope choice.
The majority of clients are dazzled by the flashy advertisements of manufacturers who display outstanding optical performances.
It is difficult to explain to a customer -the man who pays- that the luxury rifle he dreams of will not benefit from the latest technologies.
In fact, what is unfortunate is that none of the major European scope makers -Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, and the like- no longer produce slender and light scopes like the old Swarovski AV 3-9x36 or the 2-7x36 from Kahles.
They prefer to earn more money with monstrous glasses of which we do not even use a quarter of the potential...

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
21/04/23 04:26 AM

Quote:

In fact, what is unfortunate is that none of the major European scope makers -Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, Kahles, Schmidt & Bender, and the like- no longer produce slender and light scopes like the old Swarovski AV 3-9x36 or the 2-7x36 from Kahles.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Thanks for posting Joel. I was thinking of you during this thread. And some previous threads and comments of yours and choices of scopes either by your customers or your choice presumably.

As you say, none of those scope makers make 26 mm tibed scopes any more. The 30 mm tube? Now they seem 35 mm or even thicker.

I've considered this for a double rifle scope. These monstrosities are out of place. For a sleeker . 375 side by side. As Colin has said for his battery, a Leopold seems out of place. For me a 1-4x Leopold Firedot? 30 mm tube ?

I'd want at least at 6x on the top range of a .275.

metal
(.275 member)
21/04/23 07:13 AM

Swaro Z3. 3-9X36 is the perfect scope for a light stalker.

eagle27
(.400 member)
21/04/23 12:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Thanks for posting Joel. I was thinking of you during this thread. And some previous threads and comments of yours and choices of scopes either by your customers or your choice presumably.

As you say, none of those scope makers make 26 mm tibed scopes any more. The 30 mm tube? Now they seem 35 mm or even thicker.

I've considered this for a double rifle scope. These monstrosities are out of place. For a sleeker . 375 side by side. As Colin has said for his battery, a Leopold seems out of place. For me a 1-4x Leopold Firedot? 30 mm tube ?

I'd want at least at 6x on the top range of a .275.

I had a very nice BSA Hunter in 7x57 with which I hunted and shot red deer and chamois some years ago. It had the older fixed 4x32 steel tube Kahles Helia scope with the 'German' reticle and leather covers. This scope perfectly suited the classic BSA Hunter as a stalker rifle and the ranges game was usually taken at.
This is exactly the sort of scope I think would be perfect for the Rigby .275 rifle.
The 7x57/.275 is not a long range cartridge needing a large high power scope.

At the time I also had my S&L rifle in 7x61 S&H which was my rifle for open alpine and big open high country river hunting. Even on the 7x61 I had a fixed 6x42 Kahles scope with fine crosshair. The hundreds of animals I shot with those two rifles and their fixed power non-illuminated scopes didn't complain they needed to be shot with super duper high powered flashy illuminated scopes.

JDL
(.300 member)
29/04/23 01:09 AM

That is a beautiful rifle and I agree completely with you fellows about the scope. No one is manufacturing a light 3x or 4x hunting scope now. Only sniping scopes of 4-88x with objective lens the size of stove pipes, weighing in at much too heavy, and confusing reticles with more lines than my wrinkled face.
I made my longest shots ever(slightly over 300 yards) with an old Leupold M7 4x in 1968. That scope is still in service aboard a Mannlicher-Schoenauer.
Looking over what's available now, if I were buying, it would probably be a Leupold 1.5-5x20mm, put it on 3 or 4x and leave it alone. That's what I'm doing now with one.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com