DORLEAC
(.333 member)
13/12/12 08:32 AM
Original Mauser Actions blue printed - in the white

Perhaps of some interest for the Mauser's fans, two civilian actions, recently blue printed.
First a rarely encountered Small Ring, now fitted with an octagonal Böhler "Super Blitz" barrel, chambered for the 6,5x57 cartridge. The barrel was fitted by Peter Ambrusch and proofed in Ferlach before we file it to finish and make the claw mount.
That assembly will end in a very light rifle.
The other one, a Large Ring, taken from a C type "Army Hunting Rifle" has been completely overhauled. Notice that, to remove the play of the cocking piece and guarantee a perfect return position of the Lyman peep sight, we have fitted under the rear bridge a concealed pin that interacts with a cam on the shroud, a system invented by H&H on its pre-war productions.
That particular LR action uses a M.96 type small thread.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

Small Ring Mauser Action

Large Ring Mauser Action

D&D special bolt handle

Pin under rear bridge

Cam on shroud

DarylS
(.700 member)
13/12/12 10:21 AM
Re: Original Mauser Actions blue printed - in the white

Beautiful work, as usual.
An excellent ctg. which is underloaded by most of the world.
Only way to improve it, is to IMP it.

mehulkamdar
(.416 member)
13/12/12 03:52 PM

Beautiful work, Joel! Will wait for more pictures as one more masterpiece gets built by your magnificently talented hands! Thank you!

Caprivi
(.375 member)
13/12/12 04:07 PM

Quote:

Notice that, to remove the play of the cocking piece and guarantee a perfect return position of the Lyman peep sight, we have fitted under the rear bridge a concealed pin that interacts with a cam on the shroud, a system invented by H&H on its pre-war productions.

Very nice. I like this feature alot. Was the pin fitted from underneath or down thru the bridge ???
If under, how do you access that location, thru the trigger hole ??? Without having a action in hand immediately I am not sure of the dimensions.

On the SR I very much like the "wasp-waist-ing) of the fore section of the bottom metal. Also the "left handed" safety, again Very nice touch. Can never go wrong with a 6.5mm chambering.

rigbymauser
(.400 member)
13/12/12 06:50 PM

Beautiful work on such original commercial action.

I too have an original "BU" marked bannermauser action laying around for a projct. With these pictures here, gets my thoughts going an extra turn for a project. I am still considering a .400h&H even though I have a .416Rigby on a Prechtel action.

I definatly like the Dorlac bolthandle. Such work as D&D do is inspirering!.

JUSTIN270
(.224 member)
13/12/12 08:20 PM

Stunning!!!!!!! No words can describe how nice they are & how green with envy i am.

They are what dreams are made of. Thanks for showing.

John303
(.300 member)
14/12/12 01:11 AM

Beautiful work as usual of which I'm an admirer. Having said that, you state the small ring is rarely encountered. Would you kindly explain what IYHO makes it rare? I have a couple of rifles built on the SR with LR threads so I am curious. --- John

DORLEAC
(.333 member)
14/12/12 03:27 AM

Caprivi, the pin is fitted from the top. It is a finely threaded screw with an hardened teton on one side and a 45° angled head. The hole pierced in the bridge is treaded and a 60° bevel is machined, then the screw is heavily seated in, forcing the existing cone to open, so when carefully filed it disappears.
The joke is to put the pin at the right place !
On the photographed action there is zero play to the shroud and cocking piece when closed...perhaps some luck.
John303, when I say that small ring actions are rarely encountered, I speak about Original Oberndorf civilian ones. Here, on that side of Atlantic, I have seen much more kurz or magnum Oberndorf actions than SR.
But it's my point of view only.
Thanks for your interest.

DORLEAC
www.dorleac-dorleac.com

StephenCoker
(.300 member)
14/12/12 03:41 AM

Thank you for calling attention to to your treatment of aligning and ensuring consistency with the cocking-piece aperture sight. This feature is often overlooked. I've seen different approaches from Holland, Rigby, and Westley Richards. All were done to provide the benefit of consistent alignment. I've just seen many makers and individuals alike that forget to include this feature when installing a cocking-piece aperture sight. Beautiful work.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com