2152hq
(.300 member)
13/04/24 11:52 PM
Re: 6.5x54 MS vs 256 Gibbs Magnum

Finally, the disc camera works again..
Here are some pics of the magazine as it appears Gibbs modified it

They added the bullet guide at the very front of the magazine.
It is held in place with 3 screws..one one each lower side and one in from the bottom that is underneath the latch on the plate itself.

It doesn't appear at least to me that they modified the cartridge cut-outs in the spool.
A factory 6.5x54 M/S fits nice down into the radius. My 6.5 Gibbs mag cart ride just a bit higher due to the larger body dia, but not very much so.

Pic of the cartridges L to Rt:

1..One of my first attempts 256 Gibbs MAg made from surplus 30-06. Neck turned to thin brass wall.
2..Same loaded with 160gr FMJ
3..Same fired in this rifle..note shoulder fireformed forward extreme amt. This is where I was
forming and pushing the shoulder back on the case but getting a false read on the body.
4..FN factory 1930mfg 6.5x54mm M/S rd.

The rifle itself is a Greek military rifle modified and restock to sporter.
The bbl is 26" long. Excl bore.
Sporter sights incl multi leaf rear. Aldis Bros scope in detachable mounts.
I think the scope was added after the rifle was orig built as the View proof on the action ring sits
underneath the overhang of the front scope mount which is dovetailed into the action ring. Hard to punch that into place with the front mount in place.

A Geo Gibbs 'B' series ser# on the recv'r ring on the RH side under the orig ser# (which is also matching on the bbl).
That 'B' ser# also marked on the front face of the trigger guard bow as well.

Top of the bbl at the action engraved for the 256 Gibbs Magnum Cartridge.

I had more pics but now they refuse to show up for the party again.
I'll keep working on it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com