Vintage_Canvas
(.275 member)
23/02/24 06:26 AM
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S?

John, sorry for only joining the party now...
My experience with my 6.5x54 was the following...
As I have a few other 6.5 calibers, I have a variety of 6.5 bullets! When I only put a empty piece of brass in my MS rifle's magazine, there is no way that it will even move more than 5mm when I try to close the bolt. if i load a 160gr Hornady RN bullet just 1mm to short, it will not feed! it will get stuck in the magazine after the bolt has grabbed the cartridge. i have tried other 6.5 bullets, from 120gr all the way to 160gr in various types and shapes. In my rifle the Hornady RN or any other similar bullet work fine, but no spitzer or lighter bullet feed in my rifle.... no matter how far I try to seat the bullet!

In my 9.5x57 MS it seems that the feeding is less problematic with seating dept. Allthough i have only used the Hornady 270gr RN bullets up to now, as we do not have all the restrictions on lead bullets that the guys have in Europe! As Kuduae I also have a couple of 100 Hornady RN bullets and will use them for hunting any type of game up to Eland. In my rifle they work fine and why change the wheel???

Contact Us NitroExpress.com