Waidmannsheil
(.400 member)
04/05/23 07:55 AM
Re: 1903 MS Takedown Magazine Adjustment?

Lawman, good to see you have sorted it out with cartridge length, however I would argue that the protrusion is still not the ideal shape. The reason I say that that is because my own MS1903 Take Down shot and retailed by Beesley has a very different shaped protrusion than yours, and mine feeds all manner of bullets and shapes without a hiccup providing the cartridge length is not excessively short.

My MS19010 by Halliday has a similar shaped protrusion and feeds all manner of bullets quite happily. Maybe the British modified the actions for because of such an issue. Kynoch and Eley did after all also offer a lighter bullet, 140 grains or thereabouts at the same time as the 160 grain RNSN and this must have had a more pointed bullet. I have never seen one of those rounds but to maintain the same OAL the projectile would have to have been a more pointed shape.

My Greek 1903 action and the other chap from England ( His name is George AKA Deeangeo) whos gun was Austrian retailed from memory both had protrusions shaped like yours and neither would feed Norma brass with 160 RNSN projectiles of the correct OAL. Mine wouldn't feed at all until modified.

Now obviously plenty of guns did feed or else their popularity would not have been so high but some must have slipped through the net, mine being an example. And as pointed out before, the English guns seem to have a different shaped protrusion.

I have sent you an email with pics from my Beesley 1903 to show the difference, feel free to post them on this thread.

Matt.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com