DonZ
(.300 member)
18/03/23 05:56 PM
Re: Reloading the 9.5x 57 MS...

I had planned on working on some load development for this, but I have been stymied by some tech problems with QuickLoad. I'm working with the QL development guys to get this going, but in the mean time, if anyone has a working system, I could use a little help crunching numbers.

Also slowing things is the availability of product, and some what I consider unreasonable local laws on storage quantities for powders. But I digress.

What I have in hand is:

100 Woodleigh 270 grain bullets.

1 kg of VV N160 powder. I should have checked here first and used Kuduea's N140 formula, but I fell for the VV marketing for the slower burning powder. Too late to change now.

CCI Primers

About 60 once fired brass, properly head stamped, retained from a purchase from Dorfner. Apparently, he is not offering this round anymore.

CH4D Dies. I'm a little concerned that I'm not quite getting a good grip on the bullet, even after using the roll crimp die, but that could be an mis-adjustment of the dies. Need to play there. I did make one dummy round for use as a snap cap, and feeding the round from the magazine tends to seat the round deeper. Need to fix that. May require a note to CH4D.

I also have 10 old Kynoch rounds, but I'm not sure if they are older and have corrosive primers, or if I should just fire them. What I may do is pull the projectile, dump the powder, remove the primer, and start over. But that's for later.

If anyone has any advice, I am all ears. Yes, I can play with the dies to get the dimensions in the Eley drawing... it's the powder load where I need to play.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com