szihn
(.400 member)
23/12/22 03:30 AM
Re: Greek Steyr 1903 6.5x54 mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer

Mine started out the same way. Same action, but I put in a new barrel which I turned from a Green Mountain Blank. I hand made a new stock with new butt plate and a hand made Trigger Guard. I set it up with iron sights with it zeroed at 100 200 and 300. I made the rear sight base, the barrel band fore-end key and mount and bolt handle. To my eyes it's a very nice light weight stalking rifles and so far I have killed a few prong-horn antelope and several deer, but I have not killed any elk with it (yet)
The load I am using in the 156 grain PPU bullet in PPU brass with 39 grains of IMR3450. The barrel is only 19 inches long. I get 2233 FPS from that load in this rifle and the accuracy is simply excellent. I have sued the 160 grain Hornady bullet, the 160 grain Sierra bullet and the 156 grin PPU and the PPU is clearly the best in the game fields. The Hornady breaks up a bit more then I like and the Sierra does too but even worse. The PPU has done an excellent job every time I have made a kill with it and it's as accurate as I could ever ask for. My closest shot so far was about 3 yards and my longest so far was 264 (lasered).
If I ever do go elk hunting with this little rifle I will definitely be loading it with the 156 Gr PPU bullets.
2018 #1 Ant. Buck by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

Contact Us NitroExpress.com