NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
13/09/22 03:20 AM
Re: 9.5x57MS on kudu

Quote:

John my rifle and the components that we have available in SA only get around 2100f/s with the Hornady RN bullets. Kuduae send me a load with Vitha N140 that give him around 2400f/s, but I cant find Vitha N140 anywhere in SA, and we dont have a similar powder! So I have to make use of Somchem S335. If I can get the speed up to 2350-2400f/s I will take eland with my rifle! I use my 9.3x62 and 10.75x68 for eland. If you can remember last year I posted pics of a bluewildebeest that I shot with my Mannlicher 8x60S, but that is with 200gr bullets at 2580f/s!
Maybe I must try a eland cow next time with the 9.5 and the 270gr bullets???

I'd give it a go on water buffalo.

My 9.3x74R shooting 287 gr Woodleigh Weldcore at less than 2200 fps and used it on 14 water buffalo. No big bulls though yet. Younger bulls, and cows. Culling. Some took more than one shot e.g. shooting maybe four or five at once with my double 9.3, bang, bang, a bullet in two. reload, bang, a third, bang, reshoot an earlier one getting up, reload, etc. The PH/property owner was spotting for me. Also a nice big scrub bull.

A .375 270 gr Woodleigh Weldcore at 2100 to 2300 fps should work minimally OK I would think? I'd like some 270 gr RN FMJs in .375 as well, in case of a charge or a fleeing buffalo. I wonder if anyone makes them?

I have only shot one eland bull and one wildebeest bull. Both with a .30-06. 180 gr Nosler Partition for the wildebeest. We shot at the back of the head, neck running away. Wounded. Followed up for over 32 kms. Found the next morning. Switched 200 gr Nosler Partition Semi Pointed as the 180 grs we're failing. These 200 grs worked well. The eland shot to the heart, quartering from rear right. It ran a few steps. Stood there quivering. Running up, a second round to the chest broadside caused it to collapse.

I'd use my 9.5x57 on pigs, deer, sambar, and be happy to use it on scrub bull, other ferals. I'd be reasonably confident on most water buffalo. Choose shots on big bulls. Hopefully will find out one day.

As long as the 9.5x57 with a 270 gr can penetrate adequately, I don't see a problem with careful shots on buffalo and eland, scrub bulls etc.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com