skeet2atlow8
(.224 member)
05/10/21 03:58 AM
Re: 6.5x54MS on black bear

Quick update- I’ve now sat on 9 occasions and have seen great bears on camera, but only a few smaller bears in the daylight. They’re hitting my bait barrel regularly and are eating a great amount of oats with molasses, corn, and popcorn.

Some observations: I now understand the value of No1 and No4 reticle in a low power scope. I’ve got a Leupold 1.5-5 VX3 and the crosshairs are really hard to pick up against a bear in the waning light. It seems either a bold reticle and/or an illuminated one is called for. I cannot believe how dark their fur is- it’s like looking at a black hole, very hard to distinguish shoulders or elbows on front legs.

They are noisy eaters. From 35 yards you can hear them eating and scraping at the ground.

Also, “ tingling” is too weak a description and “ clenching” over-states the feeling of climbing down from a tree stand at last light knowing there are three bears within 50 yards of where you stand! This is not deer hunting, for sure.

I’ll be back out tonight for a 3-7pm sit. Here’s hoping BooBoo, Yogi,or Smokey show up.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com