Ripp
(.577 member)
27/08/21 02:32 AM
Re: 6.5x54MS on black bear

Just saw this post..

I have used anything from a .223 to a .375 H&H to kill bears.. Black Bear to Alaskan Browns..

Hit correctly they die quickly..they have small lung capacity..

As others have suggested, use a good bullet and take out the lungs/heart.. they will not go far if at all.. my experiences.. while not a ton, have taken over 10 thus far.. a few just being a nuisance around the ranch.. one was killing chickens in the yard one morning.. --.223 was all it took.. 55 gr soft points.. Shot another large 22 yr old that was on a dead cow .. shot it with my .243 using .70 gr ballistic tips.. While not my ideal choice, it worked and what I had on me at the time..

I prefer A-Frames or Trophy Bonded if I am specifically going after bears..

Used Winchester factory ammo on an Alaskan Brown bear.. took 2 shots on that one.. hit him broadside at about 60 yards.. he dropped got back up, spun and ran towards the timber..got one more in him as he was running.. he was dead about 80 yards into the high grass and trees..

Took a guy out one day to hunt black bears.. he forgot the clip to his rifle so gave him mine to shoot when we found a big boar breeding a sow.. he wounded it..low and back in the guts.. guy emptied my rifle trying to him him as he was headed our way.. guy ran back to me and said "better load up, we have a pissed off bear coming our way".. Was a 280AI.. I got 2 - 140gr Nosler Accubonds into my rifle before the bear come over the ridge to me.. shot him once in the chest.. DEAD..

Hope this helps..

Contact Us NitroExpress.com