skeet2atlow8
(.224 member)
27/07/21 09:39 AM
Re: 6.5x54MS on black bear

Thanks for all the feedback! Lots to think about. I’ve got 160 and 156 gr RNSP in stock, and will likely stick with them- Norma, Woodleigh, PPU and old CIL. They shoot well in my 1903 and feed smoothly. Nosler 140gr Partitions and Speer Hot-Cor 140gr also shoot well, but don’t feed well compared to the long 156/160’s. I guess I could have a Partition in the chamber and 160’s in the magazine.

I’m also playing with an MS1908 stutzen (DST) rechambered to 8mm-06 as it is a nice piece, in the same style/platform. This is an interesting piece that proves the value of checking everything before shooting! It started life as a 8x56MS, was later rechambered and stamped on the barrel as 8x60S. Still later it came to be rechambered again, but not marked as such, in 8mm-06, with a shorter case length of 62.0mm (any longer and won’t chamber). It was originally fit with a front claw mount with a vertical split ring at 1”, and has a rear side base that is no longer removeable, using a soldered weaver ring on the flat. Some reloads and load data came with the rifle, and was traded for at local gun show for a Sedgley 1903 Sporter. It does well with 170 and 200 gr Speers.

Decisions, decisions. Now to wait until October!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com