rpeck
()
29/03/21 10:58 PM
Re: .458WM SCHÖENAUER : DORLEAC working for Mike

Quote:

Making that big game rifle has been quite a challenge as I owe to the true to recognize that the basic quality of the 1956 donor Schöenauer wasn't up the craftsmanship level we usually found on prewar production.

I have read this before: that post-war Mannlicher-Schöenauer rifles were not built to the same quality as the pre-war versions. I once accepted this as fact, yet without personal experience of the post-war models, although I had collected pre-war Mannlicher-Schöenauer rifles for many years and was very familiar with their quality.

I recently obtained a few post-war carbines and rifles and was pleasantly surprised to find a high quality of metal finish, easily comparable to that of the pre-war models. (Below the stock line, many of the pre-war models are very rough indeed considering their reputation.)

When you have time, can you please explain to me specifically what it is about the Model 1956 that you consider as being not,"up the craftsmanship level we usually found on prewar production?"

(A personal connection: My great-grandfather and grand-uncle were both rifle makers at Steyr, Austria)

Contact Us NitroExpress.com