Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
22/01/21 07:03 AM
Re: Nickel scope pronunciation

Quote:

I prefer the scantily clad Lady Liberty!

If these items are part of a personal collection, it’s an outstanding one.

Re: bank notes, it’s a shame in these anti money laundering days that we no longer have bills larger than $100 although I read somewhere that there are a few $1,000 notes still in circulation

Of course the EU still has the 200 euro note and the Swiss (God love ‘em) refuse to give up the 1,000 CHF note.

She (Lady Liberty) did look grand in gold. Of higher value would be an original 1916 example which I don't have. Only 52,000 were struck during December of 1916 much as the original Peace Dollar would be in 1921 (1,006,473 struck). A 1916 SLQ in low grade condition (Good - 4) brings about $3,000 USD. In MS63 grade they command over $15,000 USD, an MS66 over twice that. (MS = Mint State, higher number is better preserved coin). The 1921 Peace is a one year type, being struck in high relief unlike the 1922 - 35 issues. A 1921 Peace Dollar in Uncirculated MS60 now lists $270 retail (good news for me as I paid $95 for mine in PCGS slab some years back).

1921 Peace - High Relief

Retail U.S. coin values: http://numismedia.com/fmv/fmv.shtml

The images I've posted here have been 'swiped' from the net (with the assumption they are in the public domain).

I do have (or have had) examples of several of them, however.

'Buffalo Nickels' (bison five cent) I have several, up to 'MS66' grade. Shield Nickel, Flying Eagle cent, Three Cent Silver and Nickel, Standing Liberty Quarters, all are in my 'type coin' collection.

Last year (January 20, actually) I gave a 1930 Standing Quarter in a nice holder to a friend of mine (his birth year) with whom I play poker every other week. We play for quarters and it was his 90th birthday, so I said "here, you'll always have one more quarter". He dug it. There were no U.S. quarters issued in 1931, so this year he'll just get a couple rolls of everyday quarters .

I do have a complete set of the circulation strike Two Cent coins (no 1873 - they were 'proof only'), including the 1864 'Small Motto' which is arguably a pattern coin.

I have but a couple of the more common examples of Fractional Currency at this time. I do have some of the U.S. made Australian coins of 1942 - 43 along with other 'foreign' coinage struck at United States mints.

I once had a 1794 Cent (Sheldon 28 variety) that was not as 'high grade' as the one shown in prior post, though it was an original and respectable very fine. It was traded for a 1937 D '3 legged buffalo' decades ago which was, in turn, sold for rent money (it's good to live indoors).

I could use a Twenty Cent coin for my 'type coin' collection (collecting by 'type' and / or variety rather than full sets by date and mint), as I lack one.

I do have the gold 2009 UHR, 'Ten Dollar Indian', 'Indian Half Eagle' among a few others.

---------------------------

The 1836 'King of Siam' set and the off metal (aluminum) 1868 pattern set are the stuff of dreams. Whenever I think I have anything on that level I wake up. Pretty pictures, though.

If I get back to spending money on coins, I would be very interested in Pattern Coins and could, indeed, see acquiring one or more varieties of the Two Cent patterns to go with my 'business strike' Two Cent set. They can be had for less than an 1873 Proof and are far more rare and interesting.

The Ten Dollar Bison Note is another 'dream', though I have it in (one sided) reproduction on a BEP 'Souvenir Card':

For more 'dream stuff' (that I don't have), here are Gold Certificates from the 1928 series:

Federal Reserve Notes denominated over $100 were issued in 1934 and used by the Federal Reserve to buy out gold coin and Gold Certificates that were then held by private banks and concerns. Though last produced in the 1940s and recalled from circulation since 1969, high denomination currency of the U.S. is still legal tender as are Fractionals and every other coin and 'bill' ever produced for circulation in the United States.
----------------------

As fond as I am of my numismatic paraphernalia, when my neighborhood was on a mandatory 'bug out' order due to encroaching wildfires several months back my Grandfather's M1910 Mannlicher Schoenauer and its fitted case were packed and ready by the front door before I ever considered the coins.

(Grand Dad's hat rack - January, 1932)
Buffalo - not bison.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com