NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
19/01/21 04:41 PM
Re: Nickel scope pronunciation

Quote:

Brits have Cockney, surely every language group has sub groups of slang speech.

When living in London I had an Irish manager for a job. She had a strong Irish accent and was a nice lady. But I did have trouble understanding her and had to sometimes listen carefully. I would miss an entire sentence if not listening carefully and make logical deductions.

We laugh at some Americans who can't understand Aussie, or Kiwi, or Brit's accents, but I had the same problem with this ladies strong Irish accent.

Funny too as the American accent no doubt derives heavily from the Irish accent. Maybe an American would easily understand her? I doubt it as well though.

There are some regional accents in Australia. The Adelaidian / South Australia accent is a little different from Victoria and NSW. The Adelaidian "private school" accent can be more British Upper class than the average Brits have. I asked recently at a "club" dinner if one member was born in the UK and no, a multi generation Aussie.

The Queensland accent is different again. Not tot he same extent as dialects just the pronunciation can be a little different.

Kiwis have a very different accent to Australians usually. American visitors though often can not hear the difference. It must depend on what you are familiar with.

I would have no idea of the different German accents and dialects, the Swiss, the Bavarians, Austrians, Hoch Deutsche (High German). my limited German is Barossa Deutsche, 1830s German all bastardised from 200 years in Australia. I don't speak it, I learned the few words as High German in school.

When in Norway and trying to learn some Norwegian, I was told the locals spoke some redneck mountain valley dialect. And they told me Erik spoke Oslo Norwegian.

There are obviously different accents in the USA as well. I have only been to New York City so rely on TV. The famous Southern accents. But I am guessing there is a mid Western accent, and strong accents maybe from the NE corner?

Contact Us NitroExpress.com