Rod4861
(.300 member)
13/09/20 04:50 PM
Re: little Carcano sporter project

G'day Lancaster. I am stunned at just how well those rifles have turned out. I can only imagine the effort involved. The first centrefire rifle I ever owned was a Carcano carbine. My father bought it for me when I was about 13. I remember the day well...it was a Saturday and we were going fishing. We pulled into the garage to fuel the boat up on the way to the ramp.And, when the old man came out of the shop after paying for the fuel he was carrying a Carcano carbine and a box (50) of surplus ammo, with clips!. He handed the pile over and said "there you go son". I was fairly happy boy! I'm fairly sure it was something like $39 for the lot. They were the good old days...no licensing and many a small shop or garage sold rifles and ammo. YAHOO !

Anyway, about 2 hours later I was out of ammo...and my ears still haven't stopped ringing. Still brings a smile to my face when I think about it....and I often wonder what I did to my old man to upset him that bad..that he bought me a Carcano to shoot.Ha Ha Ha. I reckon I fired no more than 200 rounds through her. Accuracy was at best tin can size group at 50 yards. Functionality...not good. Gave it to a mate a few years later. I rated it as a great "Garden Stake" and to this day I do not know how that flame thrower didn't start a bush fire. Talk about muzzle flash.

Anyway mate. You've certainly turned a pigs ear into a beautiful silk purse.

Thanks for the post.

Cheers
Rod

Contact Us NitroExpress.com