Kammerherren
(.224 member)
16/07/20 08:58 AM
Re: update - William Evans

How did I miss this? So much added since last time I read this thread back in 2017. Thank you all for adding exiting information.

Kuduae, I believe you might be right. I’m really not familiar with the different British titles, but I understand I need to get myself one now that I have this rifle!

3DogMike, this engraving is interesting, "Sighted & Shot By William Evans (From Purdey's) 63 Pall Mall St. James London". My understanding is that a wording like this indicates exactly what you already have suggested. The rifle arrived at W.E. close to completed or in the white, tested for functionality and engraved at the end, then final finish if needed.

You also mentioned Webley Scott. I have a S/S shotgun, a W.S 700 series with the engraving: “Shot and regulated by Holland & Holland”. This is a box lock, and there is engraved an H&H on one side of the lock. This shotgun is identified in the H&H archives, but it’s not really an H&H gun at all. I have been told that H&H did extremely little to these shotguns, apparently just a quick test and some engraving before final finish. They just needed some cheaper alternatives for the game wardens out there. Ordering these from W.S was a better solution than designing a cheap box lock from the bottom. This last part was a digression from my side, but there were some details I felt like sharing.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com