Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
22/05/20 10:16 PM
Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer M. 1905 Take Down

Quote:

Rothhammer, Nitrox and 9,3x64 , thank you.

Rothhammer, the four segments of the cleaning rod put together are 66 cm / 26 inches long, which looks good for cleaning a 57 cm / 22,5 cm long barrel; anyway, there won't be any room left in the dedicated compartment for storing a fifth segment so I assume that this cleaning rod was four-segment only. Did you still get your grand dad's "new hat rack" and leopard skull?

Louis

Mine measure 17.5cm per segment, a tad longer for the brass 'jag' end:

The 'fifth rod' is shaped like the connecting rods, but is all one piece steel with a smooth, slightly domed (not threaded), end where the female threads are on the others.

It's been a long time since I've had them out and they do fit rather snugly in their compartment. One loads them three with the fat end down, two with the narrow. They are a bit long when assembled, but that makes it nice for running patches from the breech end. I can leave a segment out and still have a rod more than 7.5cm longer than the barrel,
I use the rods provided with cleaning kits on it, actually. The originals just reside in the stock.

In the above image (swiped from the 'net) is another five piece set. On this one both terminal ends appear to be steel.

It seems you saw the hunt photos before I shortened my prior post. I was concerned that I was wandering too far astray from relevance to your fine M1905 (would I do that?).

As the cat is out of the bag, so to speak, and to answer your question, no. I don't think any buffalo parts made it back to the States with G'pa, nor the leopard's skull. The pith helmet has long since turned to powder.

Johnny's hat rack (for use in the field )

I do, however, have the cat's claws in the MS' fitted case.

One of my brothers had the pelt decades ago but it was in very bad shape, possibly never having been properly cured.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com