Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
27/04/20 11:57 AM
Re: Mannlicher Schönauer at auction

Quote:

I too always looked down on these sidemounts. Try example is unmarked , but I believe they were made by EAW??

I decided to buy one , and quickly became very impressed with the practicality of it. They enable mounting of a vintage " modern" scope with centered reticle and 1 inch rings, an option not normaly available with factory period mounts. Mine is beautifully fitted and returns to zero every time.
When the scope is removed the mounting rail is very unobtrusive should you want to use iron sights.
Other options such as cutting through the front ring are not even worth considering.
Most of us Mannlicher shooters are well used to holding our heads erect....so not a problem.
If you get the chance, buy one...you will be pleasently surprised.

Best

Eric

I don't doubt their function or versatility - function over form, I suppose - just don't care much for their appearance.

My M1910 Takedown wears a period claw mounted Gerard Model B that was on it when Granddad bought it in Ceylon circa 1932.

A similar option was the 'Vienna Snapper' as shown in this image from the 1939 Stoeger:

Claw mount for Mousies:

Not all were installed by dovetailing the receiver. Mine has a dovetail through the barrel, just foreward of the receiver (not much better), but some have a ring or a 'saddle' soldered to the receiver or to the barrel as on this example from Dorleac.

I really do like your Lyman 1A, by the way:

Contact Us NitroExpress.com