Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
18/04/20 05:28 PM
Re: Westley Richards .375/43/270 Proprietary Cartridge

Quote:

I decided it would be prudent to draw the cases out as close to cylindrical as I can and then resize them back... I was very fortunate to source some of the Hornady 270gr RN bullets...

In my GB purchase I also received a box of cast 265gr gas checked and lubed bullets which I think could be helpful in fire forming the brass before full power loads are made.
I have seen reduced cast loads with IMR4198 (which I have a bit).
Would it be appropriate to load these with the bullet touching the lands with a nice firm bolt closure insuring the rim is up against the bolt face?

It sounds to me like you're very much on track.

For your last question, "Would it be appropriate to load these with the bullet touching the lands with a nice firm bolt closure insuring the rim is up against the bolt face?", I'm not entirely sure as I've never used cast bullets in mine.

There is another NE member, Sharps4590 http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showprofi...73&box=sent who has extensive experience casting and shooting bullets for an M1908. He may be one to provide a definitive answer to cast bullet questions. He posts more frequently on another 'site, TheFirearmsForum, so if he doesn't answer on NE you might try him there.

I have always loaded mine to the factory specs. with the Hornady 3715 and measured them against vintage DWM531 to verify. Stick to the Eley drawing and they should perform flawlessly.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com