Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
04/09/19 05:29 PM
Re: Sights on Model 1910...

Quote:

...My MS is also a Takedown, and has the optional spare sight storage compartment, but needless to say, it was empty!

I looked at the markings on my rifle, and it says 'Osterr. Waffenfabr. Ges - Steyr' on the side, so it was made in 1924 - 1926.

...As I'm sure you know, Hornady have discontinued the 270gr RNSP bullet so I'll have to use something else. ...Andrew

From 1939 Stoeger Catalog (US):

As you've noted, these once common little gems are discontinued and seem to have become nearly extinct over the past decade. Woodleigh makes a 270 grain RN of the proper profile, but pricey. Conversely, however, this properly headstamped and formed new brass from Quality Cartridge is now available and reasonably priced:

Qual - Cart brass: Qual-Cart

Reed's Specialties (Oklahoma, US) makes 9.5X57 from fresh Norma brass (9.3 drawn straight, then formed) and Hornady 3715. I believe he does sell the formed brass alone. Reed's

This (fuzzy) scan is of a Reed's 9.5X57, one of my old handloads (.35 Whelen through RCBS dies with Hornady 3715), DWM 531 (circa 1926), once fired brass from one of my old handloads.

Build handloads to this exact profile and they'll always cycle smoothly through the Schönauer magazine:

To get closer to the date of manufacture, 'take down' your rifle and look for the proof date:

The 411.08 on this M1903 (C 6.5) indicates the 411th firearm proofed at the Vienna proof house in 1908.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com