AndrewS
(.224 member)
03/09/19 10:18 PM
Re: Sights on Model 1910...

Thanks for that. My belief is that the previous owner of the rifle (who cared for accuracy above originality) had removed the folding leaf of the original sight and attached (either by welding or epoxy or something) a piece of metal and then filed a square notch in it. The single leaf at the left of my first picture is the original (I think). The front sight was fabricated with a square post to match the slot in the rear sight. As I said, it's actually a good sight picture, but it's not right. I'm glad I have a complete original rear sight though, as if I really can't get on with the correct sights I can always change them back.

My MS is also a Takedown, and has the optional spare sight storage compartment, but needless to say, it was empty!

I looked at the markings on my rifle, and it says 'Osterr. Waffenfabr. Ges - Steyr' on the side, so it was made in 1924 - 1926.

Once the sights are done, sorting out ammunition will be the next challenge. As I'm sure you know, Hornady have discontinued the 270gr RNSP bullet so I'll have to use something else. I've been trying some lighter bullets (220gr and 235gr) which show some promise although I'm not sure how well they feed. Then there's paper-patching soft lead bullets, which sounds interesting?

Andrew

Contact Us NitroExpress.com