NitroXAdministrator
(.700 member)
23/07/19 11:15 AM
Re: Vergueiro sporter project

Quote:

still in use in africa

Small arms recovered in Mali raid
"Two of the rifles are even more antiquated; a Mosin-Nagant M44 carbine (7.62 x 54 mm R) with its distinctive side-folding spike bayonet, and an unusual bolt-action Mauser variant (missing its bolt). This is a Portuguese Mauser-Vergueiro M904/M39 short rifle (chambered for 7.92 x 57 mm), originally part of a 1904 German (DWM) contract for weapons chambered for 6.5 x 58 mm. In 1939, these were shortened and calibre converted, making it possible to ‘feed’ surviving examples with the standardised 7.92 mm Mauser cartridge. This is not a well-known variant of the famous Mauser, and has presumably found its way to Mali from one of Portugal’s former colonial possessions in the region (Guinea-Bissau or Cape Verde)."http://armamentresearch.com/small-arms-recovered-in-mali/

I remember once reading an advert which went something like:

"mercenaries wanted, must supply own rifle and ammo."

I think it was an advert with a contact address somewhere in Kenya.

I remember thinking, now that sounds like a quality gig. Fill ones bandoleer with ammo and when the ammo runs out, run!

The photo above reminded me of that old advert ... I wonder where they get ammo for some of these diverse old rifles from? Not the local gun shop, for sure. Home bush reloads? I wonder what powder charge they use? "Aah, that's about enough!"

Contact Us NitroExpress.com