Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
27/06/19 10:43 AM
Re: M1910 Finally here (and some questions)!

Quote:

III. And now the real mystery. I had thought taking it down would answer some questions, but to my surprise, I could not find a proof mark. I acquired the rifle in the US, were exported rifles not proofed? On the bottom of the receiver, I found a few stamps, but nothing that looked like a proof mark. On the barrel and the receiver are the serial number: 678. On top of the receiver, "Patent, Mannlicher-Schoenauer M1910". Also on the bottom of the barrel and receiver is the number "0". to the right of the 0 is a T in a circle, which research tells me means that the receiver was made from Crucible Steel. Where the receiver hits the "magazine well" (for lack of a better term) is a G in a circle, but I'm not sure what to make of that. The "0", coupled with the three digit serial number leads me to believe it was manufactured in 1910, but that may be jumping to a conclusion. I really expected to see a proof mark, coupled with the proof date. Thoughts?

Your Mannlicher Schơnauer M1910 should have proof marks, either Austrian or German. Remember, Austria was 'annexed' by Germany in 1938, hence MS rifles and carbines (stutzen) manufactured during the 'Anschluss' of 1938 - 45 bear German proofs, all others Austrian. Arms imported through England generally had British proofs added.

These are Austrian proofs on a Mannlicher Schönauer:

On this example, the stylized 'Npv' indicates that it was proofed at Vienna, 711.07 indicates the 711th arm proofed at Vienna in 1907. C 9.0 indicates bore of 9mm (M1905).

German proof mark indicating a 1939 proof, 6.7mm (M1903) Note that it also bears the Npv and script EV of Vienna. It may have been built pre Anschluss and later reproofed:

If your receiver is marked thus, it was manufactured no later than 1926:

During 1926, the name of the firm was changed to Steyr Werke AG.

If the receiver ring is stamped 'Made in Austria', your MS was manufactured between 1924 - 1938 or after mid - 1945. If stamped 'Made in Germany' it was built during the 1938 - 45 occupation of Austria, If neither, it was mfd. no later than 1924:

1924 - 1938

1938 - 1945

1900 - 1924

Hope this helps!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com