Hook
(.224 member)
20/02/19 04:22 PM
Re: Cast bullet loads for the 6.5X54

Sarg, the Jap has 2 gr less water capacity than the M-S and the 6.5 Carcano and 6.5X53R each have 1 grain less. All 4 are chambered in similar strength actions and I think would be considered near equal, at least in terms of lower pressure cast loads. So yes, your load manual data will be very helpful. I am curious who’s manual that was you copied from. I have several old Lyman manuals and they all stopped with 140-145 grain loads because that was the largest 6.5 mold they had. Whatever, that is the first printed loads for 160 gr class cast bullets in any of those 4 cartridge that I have seen and is definitely useful.

Daryl and Huvius, I read up quite a bit on cast and high velocity on the Cast Bullet Forum. I’ve shot cast a lot in rifles and have taken a couple of deer with them, but it has all been larger caliber, 35 and up. 1300 to 1500 fps with those slugs work fine with deer. If I do go after deer with this 1903, I’m going to need mush higher velocity. And I’m going to need the right bullet.

What I have is a nice 160 gr flat point commercially cast (92/6/2 alloy) that feeds perfectly in my rifle and will be great for cheap plinking and practice. If I can find a mold for a similar bullet, I can cast a more serious hunting bullet, probably a dual alloy bullet with a pure lead nose and a hard cast body. They perform similarly to a Nosler according to those that use them. And, I am considering trying powder coating them.

Very good input…..thanks. I’m not sure where I’ll end up with this, maybe with just a good, cheap practice round. But I hope to use them for hunting if I can get to the right comfort level with the end product. At any rate, I’ll enjoy playing with, and shooting more, the neat little 1903!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com