Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
31/01/19 04:47 PM
Re: Reloading information for the 9.5x56 MS

An old thread with load development from member Marrakai of the excellent forum, NitroExpress.com : 'Crackers' for 9.5X57

Another regarding brass: 9.5X57 brass

Notice member Daryl's advice regarding the lower and narrower shoulders of some _X57 brass that will require that the necks be drawn straight to allow for a slight 'crush fit' of the shoulder:

Re: ? For 9.5x57 owners [Re: NSW_HUNTER]
#179532 - 04/21/11 05:31 AM

I suggest you first neck the brass up straight,then use a Full Length sizing die adjusted long at first, successively lower to neck the cases back down to proper length to get what is called a 'crush' fit - ie; tight fit when closing the bolt. This will ensure the brass fits perfectly before a shot is fired. The reason for doing this is to ensure your brass lasts almost indefinitely.

The reason for I do this, is so the brass never stretches at the web, as it will if there is even a bit of headspace slop.

Note the properly sized and 'fitted case' has a shoulder height that is .019" higher than a simply necked up case. To fire a simply necked up case in this rifle, would have stretched the case badly at the web, and it would have failed/split into 2 pieces in 2 to 4 firings. The .019" headspace of this rifle is excessive, but totally safe with properly fitted ammo.

Also advice from member Kuduae:

I form my 9.5x57M-Sch aka .375 rimless NE cases from W-W or S&B 30-06 brass, trimmed to 57mm of course. Merely necking up 8x57 or 9.3x57 brass led to problems from excessive headspace. For more on my rifle and load see:

Kuduae post

Contact Us NitroExpress.com