Hook
(.224 member)
24/01/19 05:45 AM
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S?

Quote:

Since acquiring my 1903 early this year, I have tried several bullet profiles in it. The round nosed bullets definitely are the smoothest feeding of the lot, but I've had good luck with some 140 grain spire points as well as a batch of older 139 grain Norma factory loads I stumbled across. It took a little experimentation with the OAL of the reloads with the 140 grain spire points, but the Norma factory 139s fed just fine out of the box. Both do have a hitch if cycled slowly, but it is hardly noticeable if cycled crisply. Accuracy with both of the spire points is as good as the round nose reloads. The spire points certainly shoot flatter and I plan to hunt with the Norma factory stuff this season.

Our whitetail season opens in two weekends and I sincerely hope to blood the little jewel early and often. It is such a delight to carry and handle that I will likely be using it more during my mid day stalk hunting.

Those 139 gr Norma bullets work pretty well!

I decided that the little M-S stutzen would be used on the first legal deer I saw while carrying it. Figured it would be a doe, but this little guy was among 3 bucks that chased a doe into a thick bottom about 150-175 yds in front of me. The other two bucks eventually moved on off without me finding a gap to shoot through. The doe and this guy proceeded to bed down right there. This all happened about 12:30 yesterday. There was nothing but briars between me and them so I just got comfortable and waited. THREE HOURS LATER, the little scutter stood up and started browsing. After about 15 minutes, I finally felt comfortable that he had more than 6 pts (lease rule) and when he gave me an opening, shot.

The 139 gr bullet went in exactly where aimed. It took out one rib going in, took off the plumbing on top of the heart and took out the lungs, then one rib going out. If I had been 2" to the left, I'd have gotten into both shoulders. Did not lose an oz of usable meat! He took a couple of steps at the shot and was immediately out of sight. When I got down there, I found that he made it maybe 25 feet.

I couldn't expect any better performance from the rifle, scope, or bullet. The shot happened about 4:00, on a cloudy day, down in some thick stuff. The scope was just about to the point of being unusable. I am going to have to be very careful about where I use it or just bite the bullet and send it off to be refurbished. Sure would hate to do that.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com