Carpetsahib
(.333 member)
21/01/19 01:40 AM
Re: A fantastic "Christmas" gift - Two M-S's!

Quote:

Quote:

Steyr M95 (straight pull) in 8x56 - 48.5 cm / 19 inches

Some questions for the experts on this rifle.

The Steyr M1895 straight pull, which country or countries used this rifle as a military rifle?

Also is the 8x56 mm the same cartridge as chambered in the Steyr model 1908 8x56 mm?

Lsstly, this rifle has sat in my gun safe as a safe queen for a number of years. I still have the original dealers tags attached to it, and there is a warning on one side "Do not remove the bolt !!!" I may have taken it out in the past, but is the straight pull bolt problematic to remove and replace back in the action? Just in case I haven't done it in the past and there is a technique to replace it back in the action.

Thanks.

What happens with some M95s is that the bolt head snaps back into the retracted position when the bolt is removed from the receiver. The bolt functions correctly as long as it is not removed, but sometimes the bolt must be removed regardless.

In order to replace the bolt, you must pull the bolt head forward and rotate it into the extended position. Sometimes the bolt head will lock in place long enough for you to slide it back into the receiver, but sometimes it won't. It it won't, then you can use a coin, such as a US penny, to hold the bolt head in proper position long enough to place it into the receiver. It may be necessary to file flats on the penny to achieve the proper spacing. I found these instructions on Youtube, by the way.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com