Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
05/11/18 02:02 AM
Re: Use of spitzer bullets in the 6.5x54 M-S?

Quote:

If Axel, (Kudae), said it will work or won't work, there's no need to pursue it farther I assure you.

I can dig it.

For all present and future who read these posts, however, let me be clear in summarizing what I am saying (and what Herr Eichendorff has written) regarding use of 'spitzers' and / or of projectiles shorter or narrower than those originally used in the Schönauer (Schoenauer) magazines of M1903, M1905, M1908, M1910 Mannlicher Schönauer rifles and carbines (stutzen):

One can fire spitzer projectiles or others of any shape from a Mannlicher Schönauer M1903, 05, 08, 10, rifle or carbine provided they do not exceed maximum bullet width or overall cartridge length.

What you cannot expect is to be able to load more than two of such in the Schoenauer magazine and have it function reliably (if at all) unless there is enough 'meat' (bullet diameter) near the bullet tip where it must engage the machined guide channel of the lower magazine housing or 'body'. If not, it will function well only as a two round magazine or as a single shot. Attempts at loading a third round will very likely jam the magazine as the first narrow or short round loaded slips partially into the void at the base of the magazine body.

The surest way to have cartridges that will feed reliably every time and with legendary smoothness befitting the 'classic' Mannlicher Schönauer is to build them to the exact profile of the originals per factory drawings of the MS proprietary cartridges or as closely to such profile as is practicable.

Cross section showing how the projectile engages a channel machined into the magazine body at the lower front which matches the contour of the bullet nose. That and another machined channel at the rear of the magazine which closely matches the contour of the cartridge base are what guide the cartridge on its rotational journey. If the bullet is too short, narrow, or deeply set, the cartridges are free to drop at the front and jam.

Here it is 'head on' (muzzle toward viewer) as being loaded from a 'stripper clip'. It is at this point, while loading, that the first round loaded will shift at the nose and jam if it does not properly engage the machined guide flange. Those empty corners are the area where the projectile and / or shoulder will bind.

Again, make them like this for smooth, consistent, effortless feeding:

The numbers on the cartridge images are the original Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM) catalog numbers of the proprietary Mannlicher Schönauer cartridges, i.e :
M1903 - 6.5X54 - DWM 477
M1905 - 9X56 - DWM 491E
M1908 - 8X56 - DWM 528
M1910 - 9.5X57 - DWM 531

Contact Us NitroExpress.com