Rothhammer1
(.400 member)
30/03/18 05:40 PM
Re: Verification wanted

Quote:

Quote:

Last question, is it proper to refer to this stutzen as a '1903' even if it is not so marked?

According the truth that yours rifle has pre-WWII shorter action with original caliber 6,5x54 I canīt see any reason why not. These model 1903 markings has just milled away when installing this fore mount for scope.

What he said, exactly.^

And "stutzen" is proper, indeed, in reference to the full stocked carbine.

I think you're fortunate to have a MS with such an interesting 'backstory'. Decoding her mysteries adds to the experience and satisfaction of ownership, no? An MS is not only one of the finest production sporting arms ever made, but yours is also dripping with history of the 'Anschluss'. If it was at the factory during the war, it may be a survivor of the allied bombings of Feb. 23-24, 1944.

It is truly a 'conversation piece'.

Q: Is it prewar or postwar?
A: Well, let me tell 'ya... .

Read the note beneath this image of DWM 477 from the 1939 Stoeger catalog;

This is why your 'Kal 6.5' is also marked 'C 6.7', as the measurements of metric cartridges was rather inconsistent prior to WW2. Some references measure lands, some grooves. Some measure case length from the base, some to top of case rim (6.5X54 to base = 6.5X53 to rim). The 9.5X57 has many names.

This may be helpful to know as you're searching for load data.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com