DarylS
(.700 member)
24/02/18 04:51 AM
Re: Hmmm does the lift in my head go all the way to the top!

Read an article some 20 or 30 years ago, about full stocked rifles and getting them to shoot.
The article noted that a full stocked rifle's barrel should touch the stock just ahead of the action for 1/2"(standard bedding for floating a barrel), then again only at the forend cap, which sometimes is screwed to the barrel as-with the Ruger Internationals.

A fellow where I worked at that time (the jail) asked me to 'fix' his .243 International to get it to shoot & also work up a load that would kill a coyote with ANY hit. I did just that, as noted in the above, re-bedding the action (it was poorly done), then floating the barrel (barely) to the end cap, where it was also glassed for a perfect fit and screw locked. Thus, the stock touched at the action and at the forend cap-floating in between.

With 75gr. Hornady HP's at about 3,500fps, the rifle went from 2 1/2" previously at 100 metres, to shooting just at 1/2" for 5, yes, 5 shots, from cold to hot, no walking, tiny hole.

sry, got carried away - old wounds and all - this type of bedding might work on your Mannlicher, Deeangeo.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com