twobobbwana
(.333 member)
23/01/18 05:07 PM
Re: Rebirthed Purdey –Mannlicher-Magazine conversion

Lovely rifle.

Some cartridge conversions can be done.

I had a hand in converting a Greek military mannlicher to .257 Roberts.

It had been rebarelled and restocked by a local "legend" but it never fed. The magazine cover wouldn't close.

After inletting the stock so the magazine cover would close. I added the "shoulder support wings" (made the part) to the magazine (had a later Mannlicher M72 ?? .270 magazine to copy from) removed the fins between the cartridges on the magazine spool (just like the later mag) relieved the rear of the magazine where the case heads fit and spotted and fit, spotted and fit.

It's not as slick to feed as a genuine Mannlicher factory sporter but it's pretty good. I need to get hold of it again and I'll do a polish which will improve it. You can load cartridges into the mag from the top. It feeds from the magazine into the chamber and will empty the magazine when the little button is pushed.

Hearing on these forums about the critical fit of the individual beds for the cartridges on the magazine spool astounds me when I recall the M72 factory mag, with no fins between the cartridges.

As an aside a mate of mine had a half stocked rifle and a full stocked carbine in .243, both factory rifles, and the calibre certainly wouldn't put me off owning either. Traditional or not.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com