kuduae
(.400 member)
10/09/17 12:04 AM
Re: Steyr Model 1898

Quote:

Interestingly, mine is almost identical to yours in that the front sight, sling swivels, pistol grip stock, bolt handle and even the timber figure are the same, only the rear sight is different as mine has a single standing leaf to 100, three folding leaves to 400 and a flip up ladder to 1000. It has British proof marks but no retailer or makers name and needs some work.

Apparently your rifle was sporterized by George Gibbs, Bristol, too. G.Gibbs imported many Mannlichers and Mannlicher-Schoenauers from the Steyr factory military production, restocked them in their distinctive style, put on British style sights to order and not only retailed them themselves, but also sold them to other gunmakers for retail. Some went unmarked as to retailer, but many have other "name" addresses on the barrel.I have seen them marked by Rigby, Purdey, Atkin and Cogswell & Harrison. Such an added on "name" address would change the rifle in no way, but it would certainly rise the price considerably.
But such noname G.Gibs rifle is easily recognisable: All have a G.Gibbs B-prefix serial number besides the Steyr number and, perhaps, a serial number of the retailer. Mine is Gibbs number B3085.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com