Louis
(.375 member)
30/10/16 08:08 PM
Dating a M. 1908 of the British trade?

Dear All

I have unsuccessfully been trying to date a Mannlicher Schöenauer M. 1908 ‘detachable stock’ of the British trade that I bought in 2014 in the UK. This rifle – serial number 664, neither bears any Austrian proof / factory marks - only British ones from the London Proof House, nor the name of any British riflemaker or reseller. I contacted in mid-2015 the Proof Master and the Honorary Archivist of the London Proof House however they do not hold any data for rifles proofed in the early 20th century.

I think that I can narrow the production period from 1908 - the first year this model of rifle was marketed, to 1925 when ‘not English made’ markings were adopted ; that’s not very precise.

Another way of getting a more precise idea about the rifle’s production period might be from the front sight. Most of the Mannlicher Schöenauer rifles that we can see have the front sight set at the far end of the barrel (on the right on the below photo), while the front sight of this M. 1908 is set about one inch before the barrel end (on the left on the below photo) ; we can see from time to time such front sights but they are far less common that the more ‘standard’ ones. The earlier ‘fully Austrian’ Mannlicher Schöenauer that I own is a M. 1908 stutzen, manufactured in 1919, which already has the front sight set at the end of the barrel ; could front sights set before barrel end be the characteristic on an early production, possibly pre-WW1 ?

I was wondering whether any Forum member that would own a Mannlicher Schöenauer with such a front sight, which would also bear Austrian proof marks, could tell me in which year their rifle was manufactured ? Or if members had any information to share about such front sights ; in particular, throughout which period they were used ?

Some additional pictures and information about this rifle. It was bought in London in a very good condition and looked from muzzle to butt like a 'standard' Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle, not like some that were heavily modified by British riflemakers in the early 20th century.

The rifle was initially set with Vienner scope mounts and with a Voigtlander riflescope.

The stock was unfortunately broken during the shipment but hopefully replaced by a new made-to-mesure new one, thanks to shipment insurance.

Some pictures of the restored rifle:

I love hunting with classic rifles however I also like modern technology when it comes to rifle scopes. I therefore had the Vienner mounts and Voigtlander riflescope removed - they went to a Forum member in the US, and recently replaced with more easy to use claw mounts and Khales Helia 2-7x36, a modern rifle scope that doesn’t alter the lines of a classic rifle.

Thank you in advance for any information about most likely production period that you may provide.

Best regards.

Louis

Contact Us NitroExpress.com