buckstix
(.400 member)
05/10/16 01:25 PM
Re: another M 88 sporter for the archive

Hello Kuduae,

Thanks for the reply.

Based on what you have said, would 1905 - 1910 be the approx date of manufacture for my rifle?

As I have now had more time to examine the scope mounting, I find that the complete scope mounting apparatus is claw mounted on the left side, with a single "hook claw" at the front, and a single "notched claw" at the rear. The pictures I have shown illustrate its removal by pushing "up" on the spring loaded button at the rear.

In addition, the scope is clamped in place with a clam-shell arrangement that is held closed with a thumb screw.

Loosening the thumb screw, and swinging it to the side, allows the top of the clamp to pivot open, releasing the scope.

When the scope is replaced and the clam shell pivoted closed, there is a small "V-notch" in the top clamp, that aligns with a "point" on the scope ring. This assures that the scope is oriented properly with the cross-hairs in the correct position.

This arrangement works very well. And although there is some "wiggle" in the mounting, I was able to remove and replace the scope several time while shooting, and it always returned to a reasonable 100 yard zero.

I have also determined that the "swing-to-the-side" feature of the scope mount is only for loading the rifle with the 5-round clip, not for aiming and shooting with the iron sights. There is a "tunnel" beneath the mount that allows the iron sights to be used with the scope in place.

The scope is only 2x power and I'm not sure how to use the cross-hairs. The little circle is about 6 minute of angle, covering a 6" circle at 100 yards, and is positioned about 6" above the center of the cross-hairs. Perhaps you aim with the small circle at 100 yards (100 meters) and aim with the cross-hairs at 200 yards. (200 meters) Using my balliostic calculator, it shows a 220 g bullet at 1900fps would strike 5.9" high at 100 meters, and be dead on at 200 meters.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com