Postman
(.375 member)
17/08/16 11:27 AM
Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues

This is an interesting conundrum and similar to one which I experienced a couple of years ago with a Blaser R8 in 9.3 X 62..... The issue I experienced was that reloaded rounds simply would NOT chamber at all. A block of wood would not pound the bolt closed with any reload no matter what I tried, e.g., varied the seating depth, trimming cases to "trim to" specs, different bullet olive shapes, F/L resizing, checked case neck thickness, and even tried 3 different new die sets, all to no avail. I resigned myself to using factory loads only in this rifle until I rid myself of the rifle. When I was actually able to get a reloaded round to chamber, I experienced pressure signs

In .30-06, I had one Springfield M1A rifle with chambering issues and I resolved it by using a small base F/L resizing die to resolve the issue, which unfortunately I could not get in 9.3 X 62.....

In my mind, the first thing one should do is to F/L resize and trim, chamfer and deburr the cases, and watch one's seating depth. Seating depth is a funny thing. Jam the bullet into the lands, and pressures can spike. Seat too deeply and one can "crowd" the powder and raise pressure. The good case prep "should" solve most issues of this nature, but as I opened with, sometimes the resolution is elusive. An item to watch for is compressed powder loads. I've seen high pressure issues in a .223 when using compressed loads of Varget, even though the loads were well under "max" load.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com