DonZ
(.300 member)
15/08/16 01:17 PM
Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues

Tom,

Thanks. I don't have my notebook with me, but I think I checked for a taper crimp. I want to say that I checked for .002 of crimp. I will go back again to see.

My case gauge came in, and I've measured some unfired RWS rounds for a "starting point". I will measure the crimp on those before I fire them. I'm going to start again with new powder.

My only thought right now, and the only thing that's making any sense to me, is that the powder I have is too slow. I think that perhaps the pressure builds too high before the round starts moving. My only other thought is something I read along the way. Powder that has begun to break down from moisture or heat may also do the same. Again, I don't have the book with me, so I can't quote it, but I remember something along those lines.

I also wonder about the bullets themselves. The PP rounds are a bit long, so there may be seated a bit deep, although the COL is correct. But I don't think that's it.

I really do not think it's headspace, because the stock rounds fire well.

In any case, powder is the only thing I haven't changed yet, so thats the one variable left. I can't find the Hogden that I want, but I can get the IMR. Other choice is Norma 204. We'll see.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com