DarylS
(.700 member)
29/06/16 01:16 AM
Re: Follow Up on my hand loading issues

Smoking the cases is a good way to set the die, to size "just" short of the shoulder. You can do this with FL dies as well - setting them up so you don't touch the shoulder.
With new brass or fired brass, you should actually be able to see (scrapes or slight shrinkage from sizing) and/or measure the sized portion - that is how I have set my dies for "partial FL sizing" since 1969. It is also how I set my neck sizing dies.
Best is to start with about 3/16" between the bottom of the die and the top of the shell holder. Size a case and see how far down the neck, the sizing operation has been accomplished. From then on, screw the die down slightly, re-sizing, repeating until you get your die at the correct height - then lock the ring.

Before locking the ring, I place a washer on the shell holder then press that against the bottom of the die. This pushes it up slightly, removing the slop of the threads and making sure the die is properly aligned with the ram of the press.
Check to ensure you are sizing the amount of the neck you desire.

I set up all my FL dies this way, neck or FL dies. I have NEVER had an instance where I HAD to push the shoulder back to get the case to chamber - except of course, when making wildcat brass, or when using brass from a different rifle with different chamber specs.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com