samthedog
(.224 member)
20/02/15 08:49 AM
Re: Steyr Schönauer 6.5 x 55 1964

Quote:

The tang safety is a nice addition - probably not the original. The twin set triggers are horrible when unset, and too light for hunting purposes (cold hands etc) when set - although tey do look nice.

I was told by the chap I bought the rifle from that it was factory fitted. Apparently the original owner, a Swede, ordered it from factory and it came with the slide safety as the tab safety won't work as the scope interferes with it. It certainly looked well fitted and the guy seemed to know his rifles.

Quote:

We have same shooting test for moose/deer hunting in Finland and I have never heard any problem to pass it with full stock Mannlicher Schönauer if the shooter just could do his work.

I am a decent shot and have hunted a great deal so as long as the rifle is not way off it should be OK. I may borrow a friend's rifle for the test and skip using the Steyr until I become familiar with it's quirks.

Quote:

Get the rifle , test it and see how it shoots , do not bother your self on issues not conducive at this stage. Please I am not criticizing you I know you are excited and you should be since this is really a beautiful rifle, maybe not scarce in Finland or other countries , but surely in my country...keep it as original as possible, this is only my opinion, on the end it is still your rifle to do what you like with it...but enjoy this rifle...

Regards

Gert

Hello Gert, that is good advice. I was looking for info relating to the accuracy as a chap at work mentioned this and I wanted to get some info from you gentlemen. His opinion was that although there can be a loss of accuracy, it was a positive thing as it meant the rifle would likely have spent little time at the range - explaining why the barrel was in great shape for a vintage rifle. I am waiting to get the rifle after which it will get a good clean, inspection and then I will decide where to go with it. I tend to keep my tools and machines original and my rifle may be no exception. I have a 1964 model Deckel FP1 and a 65 model Colchester Chipmaster both in wonderful, original condition. I have a thing for 60's equipment and tools...

Paul.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com