kuduae
(.400 member)
11/11/14 06:10 AM
Re: .458 Mannlicher Schoenauer

Quote:

So here is a question, Kuduae (who I think has forgotten more about these MS rifles than I will ever learn) and everyone else. For someone who shoots a shotgun or double rifle with measurements as follows.... LOP 15"top, 14 7/8" mid, 15 1/8" heel, cast off 1/4", drop to comb 1 3/8", drop to heel 2 3/8" but whose bolt rifles are stocked at 14 1/2", how would you stock one of these MS .458 for a compromise, irons, maybe an aperture and a QD scope bearing in mind eye relief on the scope of course ?? Looking forward to hear the replies, thanks in advance, Mike

Sorry. Mike, but I cannot give any advice here. Though I have made some stocks for my own use, I am far from being a stockmaker. I am not very familiar with the imperial measurements, but some of the numbers you give in 1/8” = 3.2 mm make me lol. The clothing you wear on a given day while hunting will easily make a difference of 2/8s. It all depends on your own shape. And don’t forget the shape of your face! In making a rifle stock for my own use I am only concerned with LOP mid and pitch at first. Cast is relatively unimportant in a rifle stock. Height of comb/drop cannot be judged without thickness of comb, as a thicker comb appears to be higher. I usually don’t use any cheekpiece, as my face only touches a stock for about 3cm at the comb. A cheekpiece, unless very exaggerated, simply hangs out in the air below my face. So it is just useless wood for my use. The rest is just cut and try until the stock is comfortable for me, maybe noone else. Only then comes the stock finish. And, I don’t shy away from altering a stock I cannot adjust to. My own refinishes usually beat any factory stock finish.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com