Kammerherren
(.224 member)
24/10/14 03:07 AM
Re: another M 88 sporter for the archive

I got a package today, finally, after several month of delay by the Norwegian postal service..... Anyway, this is a nice M88 sporter I got at an auction this summer. The caliber is supposed to be 8x57I, which I believe is correct. The octagonal barrel looks to be full length and there are double set triggers. The colour case hardening on the action and the bolt is just amazing. I'm not that into colour case hardening so I can’t tell if this is the original or not, but the rest of the rifle is in very good condition as well, so I don’t think the rifle have been used that much. As you can see in the first picture, the former owner shot seven moose with it. (Most likely moose anway). I haven’t removed the wood yet, so I don’t know what kind of markings I will find on the underside of the barrel, but I will get to that later. The serial number is 16755, and I find 55 on the bolt as well. The only place this full serial number is visual is at the steel butt plate. So far I have no idea when or where this is produced or by who. Since there are no markings on either barrel or action that indicate who might have produced it I believe it will be hard to tell for sure. Perhaps I will find something interesting when I remove the wood, but I doubt it. Anyway, I am very happy with this new addition to the collection.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com