rpeck
()
05/05/14 03:55 AM
Re: another M 88 sporter for the archive

Yesterday I bought this Schilling M-88 Sporter for $450 (US) at a small local gunshow. It seemed a good price. The rifle is in good (used but not abused) condition and will only need a good cleaning and oiling. The bore is in good shootable condition. It has an integral front sight ramp and a rear sight with one standing and one folding leaf (still very tight). The bolt, barrel and action are all marked with matching serial numbers (28686) and the various small pieces are marked with the last two numbers of this serial number. Also, the barrel , bolt and action are marked with yet another serial number (5738). The barrel right in front of the action is marked "KRUPP STEEL". I don't understand why this is in English? Why not "STAHL"? Is this a rifle intended for the English market? In front of the rear sight it is marked "V (Y?) CHR. SCHILLING-SUHL-PRUSSIA". Is there away to date this rifle from the various stamped numbers under the stock? I don't know what any of the stamped numbers, etc. mean.

I have a collection of Mannlicher-Schoenaer and other fullstock rifles but I know very little about these 88 sporters.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com