Kiwi_bloke
(.333 member)
09/06/13 11:43 AM
Re: Absolute "I'm new at reloading" 6.5X54 question.

I managed to find the advert I described before. Hunting Die Specialties state, "we are your source for hard to find cases". Their list included 6,5x54 M/S. This was in Dec-Jan 2012. Their toll free number, if you're US based, is 1-866-RELOADS You can find their website at www.huntingtons.com They seem to have a good selection of RWS cases.

If using Woodleigh projectiles for game, just keep in mind the velocity range at which these dependably open. Their website includes this information. It might be that they act more like a FMJ at longer ranges if the initial velocity is low. They're a good round, but they're probably generally intended for faster velocity.

My 18" barrelled, 1928 6,5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer likes 140-grain Nosler partitions, (despite being semi-spritzer, no feeding problems), 160 grain Hornady round noses in both .264" and .267", (the Carcano must be loaded to a much reduced OAL). The RWS projectiles did not perform well and a 3,3/4" group at 100 yards, even using a scope, were normal.

One thing I discovered one day, when I had to hurry up, empty the mag at my target and vacate the range, was that this full-stocked carbine does not walk the point of impact or open up the group size even when the barrel is too hot to touch.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com