2152hq
(.300 member)
23/04/13 06:34 AM
Re: Hubertus ???

Thank you for the information.
I had guessed from recollection at the '1904' designation of the rifle in the ALFA catalog,,bad recollection on my part. It was the 1909 designation.
I'm familiar with the Portugese Verguerio (sp) having owned a couple of those but the designation didn't click in.

I had a feeling the 'New Model' was a collectors designation. The rifles being so uncommon to begin with people tend to pick up the tag/name from the dealers and collectors as gospel.
It's easier than saying 'I don't really know what this thing is'.
I still see the rifles listed as 'Model 88' and occassionally even a 'Mauser' when you do see one.
A nice 9x57 version at the last few Ohio Gun Collectors meetings I've been to.

I realize Steyr is the city though 'Steyr' is common use for the mfg'r,,I don't think there are many that would even recognize Austrian Arms Manufacturing Co. if you told them you had a firearm made by them.
Collectors talk and layman chatter I guess.

I just acquired 2 more Mannlicher Schoenauer project rifles. A 1903 commercial carbine that someone took apart, lost a few pieces and started to restock. The other a British made sporter on a Greek 1903 that needs a bit of help but is really not all that bad shape. 256Gibbs Magnum caliber.

I figure they are all well worth the time and effort to bring back to usable condition.

Thank you again for the onfo and the pics.
I do appreciate it.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com