HeymSR20
(.300 member)
14/07/12 04:08 AM
Re: My M-S 1903 Take Down .256

NitroX,

There are a number of minimum requirements on what rifles are legal for shooting deer in the UK. And it changes within the different countries.

So for example with my 243 and an 85grain bullet I can quite legally shoot a Red deer in England, but not in Scotlnd - bullet is too light. But in England I can't shoot a Roe deer with a 222 - min calibre is .240.

A 458 Win mag is deer legal in England but not in Scotland as it does n't have enough velocity. Nor is the 30-30.

The detail is from the BASC website - http://www.basc.org.uk/en/codes-of-practice/deer-stalking.cfm

The stalker must only use a rifle and ammunition which are legal for the species of deer being shot. In addition to compliance with the law the stalker should be guided by knowledge, experience and personal preference in their choice of a rifle and ammunition. The legal requirements are laid down in the several Deer Acts and Orders. For example:

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Northern Ireland

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.

For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.

Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.

For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com