HeymSR20
(.300 member)
10/07/12 03:10 AM
Re: My M-S 1903 Take Down .256

I've handled but not shot that rifle - it is very nice indeed. The previous owner was a colleague of my Wife and I know he treasured it, and will be pleased its gone to a good home.

We have a silly law in Scotland that forbids for deer stalking the use of ammunition with less than 2450 fps or 100gn bullet weight for deer (60gn for Roe deer). We also have to show good reason to own a rifle. The factory ammo loadings for the 6.5 MS with 156gn bullet do not reach the minimum velocity requirements, ergo our firearms licencing departments are reluctant to allow coninued possession of 6.5MS rifles, since they are no longer "deer" legal and thus you cannot show good reason to possess them. Yes of course you can reload with a lighter bullet and easily exceed the velocity requirements, but that is a real faff to prove to them etc. Hence an awful lot of these lovely old rifles are being forced onto the market, even though there are countless deer that could testify as to their effectiveness.

I have another friend who is a dealer who has a whole roomfull of these old Mannlicher's that he is slowly dripping into the market.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com