lancaster
(.470 member)
29/12/11 11:30 PM
Re: another M 95 sporter

Quote:

Thank you Lancaster for posting the pics of the sporter with the express sights and the hex receiver ring. I haven't found much information on the M95s, does anyone have an opinion on whether mine is an original sporter or a conversion? If I remember correctly it has a proof mark or factory stamp on the underside of the hex receiver ring that made me think it was an original sporter, but I haven't seen another like it. It is in 8x50R.
I thought there was so little interest in these actions I almost considered putting QD rings and a scout scope on it if it could be done with little alteration. That's a very slick action on that little carbine.

your obidient servant

the stock looks to me like a sporterized carbine stock, also the barrel and rear sight are in the military style. the gunmaker filed the rear sight down before making an express sight from this. the hex receiver is unique to me. I have absolutly no clue about this.
the general idea of this post is to collect so many informations about M 95 sporter as possible. they were existing before 1914 but I dont know if the OEWG/Steyr made commercial hunting rifles or if it was done only from gunmaker in austria.
what I know about Steyr is that they did any business and sold also actions to everyone. if you compare the pics you will notice that most rifles are spoterized carbines. the years from 1919 up to 1960 are possible for any of this.

this is another unique austrian sporter, a Fruhwirth carbine in 11,15x36R - similar to 44/40 blackpowder loads

Contact Us NitroExpress.com