lancaster
(.470 member)
01/08/11 04:44 AM
Re: another M 95 sporter

igorrrock send me a mail that he have a wiener schnäppermontage front feet for selling. its an interesting part that may not fit but with a little luck can be used from a competent gunsmith. my own gunsmith have uses old claw mount parts and fit it into each other, its possible sometimes.

its with Durchblick - look through

the Mannlicher 95 is allmost forgotten now but he played a role in the KuK empire before the outbreak of WW 1. we have seen now some example's that were made - no doubt - for gentleman in this days. just after the turn of the century he had got very serious competition from the Mauser 98 and the Mannlicher Schönauer. after the first and again after the second world war many military rifles ended in the hands of hunter who let them sporterize. this may have end around 1965 but in this time the austrian gunmaker was on the same level of quality like before the first WW.
I will continue to search about this sporting rifle action. we do not know enough about it anymore so I will collect the pieces. where, when not on nitroexpress is the right place?

"Throughout Europe hunters were pretty fast to gravitate to scopes and bolt rifles, actually, long before hunters in the USA. Even in my lifetime I remember the endless arguments about whether scopes were better or worse for deer hunting...arguments that have pretty much evaporated.

And in the USA, going to the old buffalo hunters, they used much "modern" equipment {for the day} and one little-known period of hunting history I am researching now that spanned some 40-50 years in the Western USA was the period of US Federal government large predator control operations.

Scopes and small-bore high velocity rifles were quickly adopted, with the Savage 99 in .22 HP, .250 Sav, and a bit later .220 Swift and .270 Winchester used by a number of those involved in that very difficult work. At a similar time period your Eastern and Central European hunters saw the advantages of these scoped bolt guns. Different quarry, but similar observations; the advantages of "small-bore" {compared to older black powder rounds}, scoped bolt rifles cannot be ignored.

These 95's, and the others of the similar era you've posted really highlight the diversity in makes and models of stocks, scopes and mounts especially. Absolutely fascinating!!! "

the use of bolt action rifles was only the european equivalent to the american lever action rifle. if you go to shotguns you will find that the pump action repeating shotgun never realy come to europe. and you have also today hunts on small game where they dont like to see automatic shotguns not to talk about the "gangsta" pumpgun.
long times after the last war a good scope was very expensive. thats maybe a part of the problem.
the idea that the use of a scope was not sportsman like is an old story, same thing was saying about bolt action repeater.
please dont believe that the grass is greener on the other side. they hade only other problems but it was not trouble free.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com