9.3x57
(.450 member)
01/08/11 12:22 AM
Re: another M 95 sporter

Quote:

Quote:

he and his contemporaries were very quick to accept things like nitro powder, flashlights, cars. and I think they had also use mobil phones and red dot sight's, maybe silencer if available. not sure about night vision scope and black look alike assault rifles.

That is an interesting comment.

I think many of us think of "professional" hunters in some sentimental way, using old "classic" equipment because it is "always better". This sort of applies to the white African professional and the culture of hunting that has grown there {doubles and whatnot}.

Throughout Europe hunters were pretty fast to gravitate to scopes and bolt rifles, actually, long before hunters in the USA. Even in my lifetime I remember the endless arguments about whether scopes were better or worse for deer hunting...arguments that have pretty much evaporated.

And in the USA, going to the old buffalo hunters, they used much "modern" equipment {for the day} and one little-known period of hunting history I am researching now that spanned some 40-50 years in the Western USA was the period of US Federal government large predator control operations.

Scopes and small-bore high velocity rifles were quickly adopted, with the Savage 99 in .22 HP, .250 Sav, and a bit later .220 Swift and .270 Winchester used by a number of those involved in that very difficult work. At a similar time period your Eastern and Central European hunters saw the advantages of these scoped bolt guns. Different quarry, but similar observations; the advantages of "small-bore" {compared to older black powder rounds}, scoped bolt rifles cannot be ignored.

These 95's, and the others of the similar era you've posted really highlight the diversity in makes and models of stocks, scopes and mounts especially. Absolutely fascinating!!!

Contact Us NitroExpress.com