9.3x57
(.450 member)
15/12/10 07:23 AM
Re: classic case of overkill...

[quote I have to tell about our kind of culling hunt. As a forester I work and live in slightly hilly country, stocked predominantly with hardwood forests of mixed age.

Very interesting.

My son is finishing his degree in Forestry Operations/Products but here a Forester is not involved in game culling, but rather exclusively forest and timber management. The disciplines here are separated. He would love to be a Forester in the German sense of the term!

As for the rifle, we have a couple carbines we use similarly if "varminting" is included in the use. A 17-inch barrel 6.5x55 and a 19-inch barrel 9.3x62. They are used all year for pretty much everything we have, including hundreds of small varmints. It is really quite difficult to put down a short barrel rifle once a fellow uses one a bit.

270 @ 2310 would be approaching the max performance I could reach in my 24-inch barrel 9.3x57's. That is a very fast load for a carbine length barrel though maybe the larger expansion ratio of the .375/9.5 bullet gives a pressure advantage here? My 9.3x62 runs just about 2300 with 285 grain bullets in my 19-inch barrel carbine.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com