kuduae
(.400 member)
28/06/10 03:30 AM
Re: Mannlicher 6.5

Marrakai, you are both right and wrong on Bell's Mannlicher! Bell owned at least two Mannlichers. Let's go back to the roots. To quote W.D.M.Bell's book "Karamojo Safari", Prologue:
"In the course of time I acquired a long-barreled .256 Mannlicher, stocked and sighted (iron sights, but extremely refined) by Gibbs of Bristol. I did not use this rifle on elephant; I don't know why unless it was that I had only soft-nosed bullets. It was not until later that I got a .256 Mannlicher-Schonauer and used it on elephant. I used the long Gibbs -a most beautiful rifle- entirely for meat-getting. And what a deadly weapon it was!....Just to give an idea of this sort of thing, the donkey headman demands four hundred skins for donkey saddles…..This particular trouble was generally cured by nine or ten giraffe; failing them, a score or so of zebra or, more rarely, by a dozen buffalo. That Gibbs certainly had a full-time job to do. I don't think that even now a better rifle could be found for that particular work." (end of quote)
As Gibbs had a very distinctive style, quite different from Jeffery's, Bell's Gibbs "Old model .256 Mannlicher" probably looked like this one of 1899 vintage, marked "G.Gibbs, Bristol"

Only later, "As prosperity descended upon me," Bell obtained a "very refined little Mannlicher-Schoenauer .256 with a goodly store of solids" from Fraser of Edinburgh. He rarely used this rifle because the ammo of Austrian make, Roth or Hirtenberger, was unreliable. This is likely the M-S carbine shown above.

Contact Us NitroExpress.com